Isle of Thanet Kelly's Directory 1936
Minster & Outlying Parishes
Private residents -
A to C D to F G to I J to L M to O P to R S to U V to Z
Commercial directory -
A to C D to F G to I J to L M to O P to R S to U V to Z
Has a station on the Southern Railway. Minster Church is thought to stand on a site once occupied by a temple, indication of this being the Roman bricks in the lower part of the tower: this is supposed to have influenced Domneva (St Eadburgha, wife of Melvardas, King of the Hecanes) to select it as a proper site for her abbey and her church, and there is evidence that her first church, St Mary's and her abbey St Mildred's were built here. Under the wall between the vicarage house and the adjoining garden is a very old wall of rubble, flints and boulders, three feet thick, which has been traced up to the vicarage house, and which evidently runs under it. This wall exactly corresponds in width and material with one inside the church, running north to south from the second thick Saxon pillar; and it is plainly the east end of the original conventual church of St Mary's which was spared by the destroying Danes at the time the abbeys of St Mildred's and that of Eadburgha were destroyed in 1011. There is a striking arrangement in the thick walls on entering the church, where the two first arches appear to be cut through part of the upper (then outside) windows, and it seems plain that St Mildred's Abbey some hundred yards distant was connected by these thick walls with the church, forming a private entry for the use of St Mildred's nuns. Following the arches down the nave they are not so thick, somewhat ornamented and clearly of later date. In the walls above the arches are clerestory windows discovered some years ago, put out of sight again by being plastered over. I the north transept was the Thorn Chapel, where there is a stone coffin. The south transept formed another chapel. When the restoration of the church took place in 1862-63 a small brick tomb in which were a few bones was found under what was formerly called the old singing gallery. In the Monks seats in the chancel are some unique carvings often copied. There is an inscription scratched on the base of a shaft close to the aumbry door in the chancel, which has been translated in different ways, but rendered by the Rev. John Tod Brown as "Let him who does not know, learn that one devoted to the cross rests below." The old stair turret at the south east corner of the tower is declared by some antiquaries to be like the round towers of Ireland. There is a square turret evidently not built at the same time as the tower; but whether earlier or later is uncertain. The entrance door inside is later than the stir; the mortar used is fossiliferous; and the steps worn and trodden are peculiar to this stair turret, the steps being separate from the newel. The entry into the belfry loft from the turret is primitive. On reaching the bell loft, the turret takes another turn upwards, leaving no doubt that it once was higher than it now is; and the rough capping on the top outside confirms this. The turret is presumed to have been a watch tower, in communication with all the warning lights in this part of Kent. There are five bells in the tower, four of them which date 1636, 1636, 1626, 1660. The fifth bell has no date, but has an inscription in Gothic letters "Holy Mare, pray for vs." Then follows the effigy of clerk praying in bold high relief. After the clerk (apparently) a religious monogram of the donor of the bell; the tone of this bell is rather flat, supposedly to have been purposely cast so for a sanctus bell. Minster Church was restored in 1862-63. The north and south transepts and the chancel were vaulted with billets of chalk as centre. The living is a vicarage net yearly value £605 with residence. It is in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury and has been held since 1936 by Rev. Arthur William MacMichael M.A. of Trinity College Cambridge.
A few yards north east stands what is now called Minster Abbey. This is the second abbey built in 738 by Eadburgha, on somewhat higher ground and on a larger scale than St Mildred's. The massive walls of the tower of the Church of St Peter and St Paul connected with Eadburgha's Abbey, can be judged by the remains, which look strong enough to stand another eleven hundred years. The crypt is Saxon work. The old smoke stained chestnut roof of this abbey gives the proof that the hall was used before chimneys (introduced in 1320) were thought of. The gable end shows the Saxon window that wound out the smoke. The foundations of this monastery may be traced up the meadow; and at the north east corner there appears to have been a corner tower for defence, close to the third moat or loch, the walls running on westward. In front of the house on the lawn from the tower are the foundations of the church walls of SS. Peter and Paul, with an apse at the east end. the building was converted at the Reformation into a dwelling house. The upper window and gable show Saxon and Norman work.
There is a Methodist Church in the High Street. The Roman Catholic Church of St Mildred's is served from Ramsgate.
The Southern railway has a halt at Ebbsfleet. St Augustine's Golf Club (Ramsgate) Ltd established in 1908 has an 18 hole course at Ebbsfleet; there are 350 members; subscriptions: gentlemen. £5 5s; ladies £4 4s; Major J Stanford, sec.
This part of Minster is called DURLOCK. The moats on the north and east called Court Garden, are bordered now with hop gardens. The area is 5,242 acres of land, 2 of water, 41 of tidal water and 166 of foreshore. The population in 1931 was 3,198 including the officers and inmates of the Isle of Thanet Institution.
Under the County of Kent Review Order 1935 part of the parish of Minster was transferred to Margate, a part to Ramsgate and a part to Sandwich.
Minster Parish Council - Richard Charles Young (chairman),, Mrs F K Harris (vice chairman), Thomas Henry Webb, C Marsh, G Harlow, S Jezard, N White, C Beerling & Mrs J R Beerling. Clerk to the Parish Council, James Morison Simpson, Corner House, Monkton Road, Minster
Acol (or Wood)
The church of St Mildred was erected in 1876. The vicar is Rev. Nevill M.G. Sharp M.A. who is also vicar of All Saints Birchington, where he resides. There is also a Methodist Chapel.
Population in 1931, 208; area 533 acres of land.
Quex a mansion built in the early part of the last century near the site of the ancient mansion is the residence of Major P.H.G. Powell-Cotton J.P. Here is preserved the state chair used by William III when he with Queen Mary used to stay here on his way to Holland. Adjoining the house is the collection of big game and curios formed by the present owner. The museum is open to visitors at stated times. In the park is the Waterloo Tower containing a peal of twelve bells; there is also one from a Burmese temple and the bell of "Hindostan" the East Indiaman lost on Margate Sands in 1803. The clock in the turret of the courtyard strikes on a pre-Reformation bell, dated 1536 from St Mildred's Church Canterbury. Grouped round another tower is a collection of cannon including guns captured from the French in Canada; early 17th century Dutch and German guns; howitzers from the Peninsular war; parish "peeces" of Charles I time and two recovered from the wreck of the "Royal George" at Spithead.
The hill close to the Thanet Institution is called King William's Mount.
At Quex is also the Smugglers' Leap famous in "Ingoldsby Legends.
Under the County of Kent Review Order 1935 part of this parish was transferred to the Borough of Margate."
Here is an ancient gatehouse built of alternate bands of cut flints and red brick, all that remains of the fortified mansion of Daun-de-Lyon now modernised "Dent-de-Lion". This seat which is said to date back to Edward I was formerly surrounded by a strong wall loopholed and battlemented. Over the main gateway are the arms of Daun-de-Lyon and by the side of the foot gate is a demi lion rampant holding in his mouth a label which bears the name Daun-de-Lyon. It is now the property of Major P.H.G.Powell-Cotton of Quex Park. There was a Marcellus Daundelyon, Abbot of St Augustine's Monastery in 1426; in St Johns Church Margate is a brass to John Dandelyon who died in 1445 and he is believed to have been the donor of the tenor bell. In 1703 under the north west Tower of the Gatehouse a large chamber is said to have been discovered but in recent years no trace of it could be found. A well prison still exist in the north east Tower. There is a small Methodist Church.
Motor coaches which run between Birchington, Westgate and Margate every ten minutes pass here and there is a terminal tram station a short distance along the Canterbury Road towards Margate.
Under the County of Kent Review Order 1935 a part of this parish was transferred to Margate, a part to Ramsgate and a part to Broadstairs & St Peters.
St Nicholas at Wade
The church is in the Norman and Early English styles with tower and additions of a later period. The living is a vicarage net yearly value £357 with residence. It is in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury and has been held since 1931 by Rev. Edward Colles Robinson M.A. of Queens College Cambridge. There is also a small Methodist Chapel built in 1822.
Population in 1931, 578; area, 3,555 acres of land, 8 of water and 158 of foreshore.
Saxon and other remains have been discovered here, and there are traces of a ancient burial place in a field near the mill.
Services are held at the Methodist Chapel here.
Sarre Bridge is half a mile south.
Population in 1931, 159; area, 667 acres
Monkton Court is the property of H.A. Smith esq. The church situated at the western end of the village is dedicated to St Mary Magdalene and is described previously. The living is a vicarage net yearly value £373 with residence. It is in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and has been held since 1924 by the Rev. Hubert C Henham. There is also a Methodist Chapel. The old stocks still exist near the churchyard.
Area, 2,371 acres of land, 4 of tidal water and 3 of foreshore; population in 1931, 488.
This page was last updated on 08-May-2010.
Copyright © 2008 Janet & Richard Mason.